Friday 13 May 2016

High yielding re-development opportunity in Falkirk


Today’s buy to let opportunity from The Falkirk Property Blog is a wee bit unusual so I suggest that you take the weekend to mull it over.

The property is a 1 bedroom flat at 11 St Crispins Place in Falkirk.  St Crispins Place is just off the end of the Cow Wynd so it’s very central.

The flat is on the market with Future Property Auctions with a guide price of £12,000.  Why so cheap I hear you ask?   Well the simple answer is that the property is uninhabitable and needs a complete refurbishment.


Some buy to let investors think this is great as it gives them an opportunity to create value through the refurbishment, other buy to let investors think this sort of stuff is just too much hassle.  Personally, I do not mind the re-development work but I am always wary to ensure that I am very clear as to my projected costs (acquisition price, refurbishment costs and contingency) before I would buy so that I do not over pay ... overpaying is the easiest way to through away money in property investing.

Working back.  1 bed flats in this area rent for around £350 pcm.  Given the extent of the refurbishment work required I would be looking for a 15% yield on this property.  This gets you to a maximum total cost of £28,000 which to me means that you need to be able to buy and refurbish the flat for £28,000 so if you can buy the flat for the guide price of £12,000 that leaves £16,000 to refurbish the flat.  Is this enough? Best you go and see the property first and get you contractor to price it up.

This is an interesting opportunity but I appreciate that it is not everybody’s cup of tea so I suggest you mull if over over the weekend.

We hope you find our posts useful.  If you would like some advice with your potential investment, please come and see me in our new offices at 6 Vicar Street, Falkirk for a chat, give me a call 01324 469840 or email me on falkirk@thekeyplace.co.uk.

No comments:

Post a Comment